Monday, October 24, 2016

Gotta love Hunting season

Hunting is most people's religion here in Vernal and it's pretty much all we hear about as missionaries and to be quite honest it's a foreign language for this so cal girl. I don't understand what they are talking about most of the time so I just smile and nod like I care so much about how big of a buck they got last week on the mountain haha. Last night at dinner though was a first. We were at a young couples house who are less active and he pulls out his phone to show us his deer he just got the other day and points down to what we're eating and says look this is what you're eating! My companion and them got a good laugh out of the face I made when he said that! It was just so weird to be shown the animal you were eating that was an experience to say the least. I'm happy to report that it was really good though! He cooked it really well and made it not taste so much like deer so I appreciated that haha. A lot of people here miss church during hunting season which is frustrating but it's how it's always been so it's really hard to try and change it especially when most bishops are doing it to which is it great. Keeping the sabbath day holy means so much to Heavenly Father because it's the one day he asks us to put Him first before anything else and I've found that as we do that we receive so many blessings. Peace, comfort, rest, and countless others. We get more out of church when we have an attitude of worship and gratitude and really try to focus on why we are there taking the sacrament. Sorry don't want to get all preachy on ya just how I feel. This week was good though we had some good lessons with investigators and others that fell through which was hard. We met this really nice lady named Cathy though she's awesome! She has a lot of LDS family members but has never joined herself and decided she wanted to learn more and it's been really cool seeing how open she is to us and the Book of Mormon. She is a great example of having an open mind and being able to have a religious discussion that is uplifting and positive rather than bible bashing and trying to force beliefs on one another. I really appreciated her attitude towards us and I think once she gets a testimony of the Book of Mormon she'll really progress fast. Tuesday was exchanges in Roosevelt with the sister training leaders and I got to be with my old companion and it was so fun! We had a blast even though we had a horrible lesson with a Ute family who don't really respect women so that was interesting to say the least. I'm just glad I don't have to go back there again cause it was rough but the rest of the day was great haha. Today we are going to hike to the U so I'm really excited about that! I love that everyone in vernal loves the Utes and not BYU it makes me so happy even the high school here is the Uintah high Utes it's great

Spiritual thought: make church a priority that's all I have to say about that haha

I hope everyone has a great week! 

Love from Vernal, 
Sister Dunkley 

No comments:

Post a Comment